Ashley Litwin is an experienced white collar criminal defense litigator and appellate lawyer. Ms. Litwin has argued numerous cases in front of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and the 2nd DCA of Florida, recently successfully overturning the conviction for a defendant sentenced to life imprisonment. She has acted as co-counsel in a variety of trials in front of the Southern District of Florida, and has been the lead counsel for white collar and other federal criminal defendants at sentencing and in other evidentiary hearings, recently winning a motion for ineffective assistance of counsel to overturn the conviction of a former marine and having a structuring and failing to declare currency case dismissed by the US Attorneys Office. Other appellate victories include:
- United States v. Ammar-Vacating a life sentence and overturning a conviction
- State of Florida v. Vilca-Vacating a life sentence and overturning a conviction
- United States v. Phillips-Vacating and overturning a drug conviction
- United States v. Steele Nelson-Overturning sentence based on error in calculating the loss amount
- United States v. Gonzalez-Overturning sentence based on error in enhancing the sentence for sophisticated means and a leadership enhancement
- United States v. Baptiste-Overturning sentence based on error in counting immigration detention as part of sentencing calculation
- Moreno v. United States-Overturning a sentence for ineffective assistance of counsel at sentencing
- Bru v. United States-Winning a 2255 motion, allowing a defendant to belatedly appeal his sentence and conviction
Ms. Litwin has handled cases involving complex tax, wire fraud, mail fraud, RICO, money laundering, drug trafficking, bank fraud, healthcare fraud, and aggravated identity theft; as well as alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Ms. Litwin was recently named by the National Trial Lawyers as a Top 40 under 40 lawyer and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as one of the 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida. She was nominated by the Daily Business Review as a finalist for the Most Effective Criminal Lawyer in 2012 and 2017. She is the vice-president of the Board of Directors of Transition, Inc., a non-profit providing job training and placement services to ex-offenders, and she is involved as a committee member at the Women’s Fund.
Before joining Seitles & Litwin, Ms. Litwin clerked for Judge James Lawrence King on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida and Judge Peter T. Fay on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Ms. Litwin was also an associate at Jenner & Block LLP in Chicago, Illinois, where her practice focused on complex commercial litigation.
Ashley is admitted to practice in Florida and Illinois and is a member of the S.D. of Florida, the Eleventh Circuit, the 2nd, and, 5th DCA.
- Judge James Lawrence King, U.S. District for the Southern District of Florida
- Judge Peter T. Fay, Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D. University of Chicago Law School, 2006
- B.A. in Political Science, University of Michigan, 2002
Awards & Recognition
- The National Trial Lawyers: 40 under 40
- Daily Business Review Finalist for Most Effective Criminal Lawyer in 2012 and 2017
- Ann Watson Barber outstanding service award winner
- 40 under 40 outstanding lawyer
- South Florida Legal Guide named one of the top “Up and Comers”